Monday, May 31, 2010

Cake, Soccer, and a Blessing from Jesus Himself

First week has gone well. A lot of free time, a loooot. But I´m getting to know the community inch by inch. Yesterday was the big 2-4, how vieja. My host-mom made some kids from the evangelical church get me a slice of cake and then they stuck around for a bit, and then my jovenes that I took to a youth club training for the past two days showed up, then some kids that I´m gonig to be helping with soccer skills showed up. Crazy amounts of Spanish going on at once is very overwhelming, but it was very nice of them. And Mama Yudelka and my pastor of a host-dad both gave me separate 10-minute blessings to the heaveans (lots of Jesu Cristos and Gloria a Dioses). I´m pretty sure even if I kill someone, I´m going to heaven. Spent the afternoon at a soccer game, or something that appeared to be vaguely like a soccer game. I´m excited they asked me to help out. They definitely need some. It was pretty sad to see many of the kids playing in worn out flip-flops or just barefeet on their mostly dirt playing field. One pair of muchachos only had one pair of sneakers between the two, so one wore a sneaker on his right foot and went barefoot on the left, and the other wore a sneaker on his left foot and went barefoot on the right. Perfect picture of the generosity of Dominican culture--If I´ve got two shoes and you have none, of course I´m going to give you one.

In other news, the community center has Facebook blocked so until I can get that changed (obviously a primary project plan right there), e-mails (Kaitie.Brown@gmail.com) are always welcome! (Also, I can read what you send me on Facebook through e-mail. I just can`t write back.) I think that´s all to report for now. Possibly off to Juan de Herrerra today to see another volunteer´s site!

No comments:

Post a Comment