Monday, May 10, 2010

Back from the Site Visit...

5/10--Back in Santo Domingo from my site visit. It was great. There's a lot to be done but nothing that I'm too overwhelmed about. The biggest thing is that the radio station just plays a loop of music and no one listens to it or is involved with it, so that'll be a project. The people I'll be working with in the CTC are very cool and motivated. I went around with my one project partner to every neighborhood, going house to house introducing myself. Felt a little like a politician running for office. Went to 3 different church services in 6 days, still need to go to the Menonite service when I return. Absolutely nuts. I've never had so much juice in my life. My host family is nice--my dad is actually the pastor at the evangelical church. My host mom is crazy and pretty much lives her life to feed me (3 plates of food per meal). She told me she was going to throw Garrett and I a wedding when he came to visit. I politely declined. She also said she'd get my parents some horses to ride around town when they visited. She obviously does not know my mom (who probably won't even come to the site). The house is cute, small cinder-block, running water sometimes, although the shower spicket is pretty much over the toilet which is an awkward experience. I told them it was a rule of Peace Corps that I had to move out on my own in 3 months (which is a total lie, but I didn't want to make Yudelka-my host mom-cry). All for now--took a lot of pictures, so hopefully will get them up soon!!

1 comment:

  1. KT, i'm so excited for you! I had no idea you were doing the PC. Best of luck out there! If I find myself la Republica Dominica I'll seek you out! Take care!

    ReplyDelete